Author Topic: Shield for catalytic converter?  (Read 770 times)

Offline flamingchariots

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Shield for catalytic converter?
« on: February 17, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »
The covering (shield) over the catalytic converter on my '84 is disintegrating, even when you touch it.

Is it necessary to have the shield in place?  I don't see this item on replacement converters... or is it built into them?

I don't want to start any fires by neglecting this.  Is a replacement available or even needed?

Kevin
Medina, Ohio

Offline mudkicker715

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagle Nest Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
Re: Shield for catalytic converter?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »
The shield is built into a generic replacement cat

Current amc's
82 concord waggy 258 DD
84 eagle sedan stroker DD
86 eagle wagon sas 304 v8 toy
87 eagle wagon stroker

Manitowoc WI

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:25:54 PM »
If you don't want to replace your cat, I just yoinked mine.  I believe the heat shield is still good.   I can get some pictures if you would like.   You can have it for the cost of shipping.  I think it will fit in a large flat rate USPS box.

Offline carnuck

• AMC Eagle Nest Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 55
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:49:03 AM »
I'm going to a high flow cat (if no-one buys my wagon and I take it to Canada when I move) Even though they weren't required on Canadian Eagles, trying to prove that to emissions guys isn't easy!
FOR SALE
'87 Comanche 4.0L AW4/NP242 3.73 gears, lifted 5" on near new 33" tires $3500 obo
'82 Eagle Wagon (Brown Betty) 4.2L/727/NP229 and soon 8.25 rear axle and non-vacuum 3.08 front to match. 235/75/15 tires. It's down to minor body work (someone creamed my driver's door but I have another in good shape) almost rust free and interior work (seats are worn and carpet torn). $2000 but about to go up due to more work being done.

Pics of my other for sale stuff http://tinyurl.com/jimsclads

Offline flamingchariots

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. 
Looking at my pictures, I think that is the original catalytic converter.  Can it be run without the guard or is it best to have something there in place?