Author Topic: If you couldn't have the 258...  (Read 33662 times)

Offline 1OldFordMan

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: If you couldn't have the 258...
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2011, 12:52:27 AM »
Well, I've FINALLY got my 360. Now to figure out how to get it in. Had hopes for The Game Warden at The M.E.N.S. doing it, but that's out. Have to consider other options, but at least I've finally got the 360. Not blaming Mav., it was my fault for not understanding him, plus now his back's out & he has no help.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

RIP Old Rusty - my 1990 F150 died

Offline drock87

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
I know that there are many who do not like Toyotas out there, but I think that the 4.0L V-6 that is put in the Tacoma, 4Runner and Tundra would be a great fit. Durable, tons of torque, and one of the more simplistic modern engines.
2011 Toyota Camry SE
1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2012, 08:05:06 AM »
232 would be my choice for a summer car.maybe a  turbo equipped Subaru 4 cyl if no AMC's were available
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

rohnk

« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »
I know that there are many who do not like Toyotas out there, but I think that the 4.0L V-6 that is put in the Tacoma, 4Runner and Tundra would be a great fit. Durable, tons of torque, and one of the more simplistic modern engines.

Beware of Turdola! I bought a Highlander last year used and in less than 30 days I was stranded in South Dakota with a blown engine. $5600 to replace the engine of which I had to pay $2000 and all the fees associated with getting it back to Michigan.

They are prone to sludge since the internal ports are made smaller and gunk gets caught in them and they plug up. I've also read that they have cavitation problems internal at certain RPM where vibrations cause the oil to aerate and become kind of a foam. Since I've had the vehicle, teh check engine light has aways been on and it shows error codes for oxygen sensors even though they were all replaced.

Bad engines IMHO. I've had nothing but trouble for a year now and it has coat me north of $5000 in repair bills at the dealer for all the fluid changes, and bogus engine lights.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 28
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »
I just found specs for this 4.2l Cummins V6 diesel engine in development for the Dodge 1/2 ton trucks:
http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/v6_cummins.html

That would be amazing in an Eagle, at 270hp and 420lb-ft torque, and only about 150lbs heavier than the 258. My favorite part is the mpg estimate at 25 highway for a 6,000+lb truck. I dream of a 40mpg Eagle that I can take long road trips and off road adventures in. That, and an armored Eagle Hurricane SX/4 with 0 degree turn radius, 4 wheel steering, etc...
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2012, 07:20:32 AM »
Wouldn't you be concerned with snapping drive train parts with that kind of power?  If you replaced the tranny, tc, and rear axle the front end would still be a weak link.  I love the idea of high mpg, but that's a lot of power to throw at at.  I will say, only 150 lbs more?  That's nice.

I'd like to see a 4.3 in front of a middle weight 5-speed.  I'd up the hp just a little and see if mid to upper 20's mpg isn't possible.  The engine doesn't weigh much, parts are cheap, and lots of them available in the salvage yard.

Or...a 4 cylinder n/a diesel and shoot for that 40 mpg mark. :)

Offline carnuck

• AMC Eagle Nest Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 55
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2012, 01:44:16 PM »
The front seems okay with AMC V8 power.
FOR SALE
'87 Comanche 4.0L AW4/NP242 3.73 gears, lifted 5" on near new 33" tires $3500 obo
'82 Eagle Wagon (Brown Betty) 4.2L/727/NP229 and soon 8.25 rear axle and non-vacuum 3.08 front to match. 235/75/15 tires. It's down to minor body work (someone creamed my driver's door but I have another in good shape) almost rust free and interior work (seats are worn and carpet torn). $2000 but about to go up due to more work being done.

Pics of my other for sale stuff http://tinyurl.com/jimsclads

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 21
  • Quicksand!, What quicksand?
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2012, 09:13:16 PM »
Im actually considering finding a cummins 4 popper. Its the same as the six in the dodge trucks with 2 cylinders chopped off, Ill have to look up specs for it, but if I find one, the eagle is going diesel, and if I find a pre computer six, so will the bronco.
1981 Eagle wagon, daily driver/project, (The Beast)
1979 Bronco, hauler/crawler, (Monster)

E-85/alcohol powered "81" 1/2-ton Limited wagon, punched-ported 266, 4.0 head, Comp RV cam, TFI ignition, 2150 carb, AX15 5 speed, NP-242 (low+awd shift on fly), 3.55 gears, 6" total lift, Solid axle swap, with K5 chevy springs in the rear, 235/75/15 BFG TA KO's

Offline Whuntmore

• Proud Eagle Owner
  • Moderators
  • AMC Eagle Nest Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 108
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2012, 10:58:04 PM »
I'd probably go with a 4.0 HO. 
1986 wagon (Flicker) - Project car, and Daily Driver.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2012, 12:04:40 AM »
The AMC 258 is a fairly balanced engine for my needs. There are 3 other engines that come to mind all AMC related and they all have their own share of problems that are defeated by the practical specs of the 258. My primary concern is consistency and the 258 is exactly that. I can attest that the engine is dependable and consistent even in areas where there is no logical support for it to exhibit such behavior. The biggest and only problem I have ever had while using the 258 is getting stuck somewhere and good. This is not a fault of the engine itself but the junk drivetrain bolted and seized to it.

The first option I have strays from the 258 design as it is the AMC 151 that successfully provides in the role of a Summer car. It was offered as an option in the Eagle so it's a very practical choice. This is purposed for very long distance trips where the only focus is getting from point A to point B. Excessive power is not here and things like steep hills and deep mud are of no concern because they are never seen. Moderate power, low maintenance, excellent fuel economy and a reliable ignition system provide for a safe, comfortable and very enjoyable ride no matter the situation.

The second option is my ideal choice. The AMC 242 is the perfect balance of power and economy with no regard for change of conditions. It doesn't matter if I'm on a long road trip, mudding, rock climbing or whatever. The engine provides far more power than the above models. With less emissions equipment to worry about, better ignition system, less noise and mild maintenance it makes for an extremely capable, available and reliable Eagle. Fuel economy significantly improves when the fuel injection system is preserved for this engine and the Chrysler head is used.

The last option is something I have in mind for apocalyptic conditions where I expect every place and thing to be troublesome. There is a closely guarded secret in the AMX world concerning a concept V block that mimics the Small Block Chevy in excessive power, high precision timing and better support(assuming you can get it built first). The AMX 384 is a non-standard AMC V8 that does not belong in an Eagle or any rock crawler. It belongs in an Interceptor class follow up from the Javelin. Period. Ignoring this fact along with possible clearance issues and immediately necessary drivetrain changes, I think it would be great for high capacity towing and plowing. The only downside is the excessive fuel consumption and a blatantly annoying insufficiency with the fuel system itself. As always I will pick carburetion over aftermarket injection but as gasoline and propane are standard fuel for most vehicles they are not appropriate choices for this engine. I am working on finding an acceptable fuel type and fuel system for this engine should I ever have the opportunity to create it. :amc:
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:11.Oct.12}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 10.5:1
Corrected Idle: 500RPM