Author Topic: AMC Radio BoomBox  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 28
  • Limerick, PA
AMC Radio BoomBox
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:23:54 AM »
I have been thinking about making a stereo boombox using an AMC car radio and computer power supply. Here are some of my thoughts on it:

-AMC am/fm radio or other car model/aftermarket radio
-wall (AC 110v) powered with desktop pc power supply (possible with car battery, but too expensive as well as heavy)
-built in speakers and/or can be used with external speakers w/banana clips or wire
-possible iPod/Aux connection port
-On/Off switch
-carry handle
-side or top mounted antenna
-hard wood box- can be opened if maintenance is needed

There are probably other things I could do with this. If my first one is successful, I may consider making more for Nest members. Customization? Paint schemes?

I'm not sure what a fair price would be at this point. It would depend heavily on whether or not I can get parts for cheap from the classified list or the auction site. Power supplies wouldn't be a problem, radio units could range 10.00-100.00 alone, depending on car model, aftermarket specs, new/used. If speakers are built in, that's another thing I would have to find or buy. The aux port would be about $30-$50 if it's added to an older unit, so probably better off going with newer ones that have cassette or built in aux.

Shipping might be a killer, at least if it's a big unit with built in speakers. Final sale price could include Nest donation.

Here is an example (not mine), moderators please remove if not allowed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Vs1ScUNZ4&feature=related

My thought is an absolute maximum cost of $200, but that would be with new/fairly new equipment and lots of customization.

I personally would love to have this while working on my car, as a nostalgia kind of thing, and just to remind me of my car while I'm away from it ;D
Please let me hear your thoughts, opinions, ideas, maximum price, and if you might be interested in something like this.

Not quite as intricate as this one lol...
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline thereverendbill

• The Mobile Body Guy
  • AMC Eagle Nest Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Immune to rust
Re: AMC Radio BoomBox
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 03:07:11 PM »
I made a couple out of old small tool boxes in the past
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Moderators
  • AMC Eagle Nest Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 65
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 04:52:25 AM »
I love the Idea, I think it would make an awsome conversation piece and a very cool addition to any AMC fans garage or rec room.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline Hawk258

• Theoretical Customizer with Dilutions of engineering greatness
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • With Great horsepower comes great FUN!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:12:08 PM »
what no amc round rear side marker lights? or even a hood ornament?

Ingenuity through stupidity, Do something stupid and through Ingenuity you will find a way out of it.

1981 AMC Eagle (Currently in need of a bellhousing OR the project to iron it's self out)

1982 Subaru Brat White (Daily driver inheritence from mom ((Don't worry mom I won't break it))
other prior vehicles include:
1985 Dodge (OMNI) charger
1979 Dodge Ram Charger
1985 Dodge Diplomate
1982 Subaru wagon
1980 AMC Spirit
1982 AMC Eagle wagon (Was going to be parts car)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 28
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:58:30 PM »
You're right, they would be pretty cool! It's just a matter of getting and paying for them  :-\

This project might have to take a back seat for a little while unfortunately, as my Eagle project is priority and I'm at school.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 113
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 01:14:47 AM »
I think you should give up trying to find original AMC radios. Instead I think you should splice together an Eagle dash around a readily available aftermarket radio that can be changed out when it breaks. I'm imagining the center section of the dash with the glove box door narrowed or deleted and the hump for the steering column deleted. The foam crashpad would need a splice in the center but that can be smoothed out and invisible. The original light switch on the side of the dash could then be the on/off button for the unit. Where the gauges used to be could be an Eagle emblem or picture frame. The whole unit would be about two feet wide and would capture the essence of the familiar AMC dash. I've got a few brown units you can have to experiment with.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan