Author Topic: Hey!! I haven't seen one of those in years!! It's a..........right?  (Read 4538 times)

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagle Nest Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Hey!! I haven't seen one of those in years!! It's a..........right?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 01:02:18 PM »
At about every cruise-in or car show I hear about how AMC cobbled parts from the other manufacturers for their cars.  It's like the AMC guys in charge of purchasing parts were just driving a truck from the Chrysler, GM and Ford warehouses looking for whatever was laying around and wasn't used.  I've also heard that the 6-cyl AMC engine was made by GM, the 360 is a Chrysler engine, the AMC Concord and Eagle were the basis for the Chrysler Concord and Eagle cars, the AMC 327 is the same as the Chevy 327, etc.   I had one avid chevy guy look at my 64 Classic and ask when I was gonna drop a Chevy 350 in it and I told him emphatically NEVER!  He wasn't too happy with that response.

My uncle told me something similar.  He said AMC bought the rejected motors from other manufacturers that the assembly line said were substandard.  The 327 was chevy motor, the 390 a Ford, and so on.

:rotfl: Gotta love when schlubs know more about your car than you do eh? haha. I had one the other week that insisted that the SX/4 didn't have an AMC engine in it, (car show and the hood was open).  :laughing1:
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline priya

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 125
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 02:12:44 PM »
:rotfl: Gotta love when schlubs know more about your car than you do eh? haha. I had one the other week that insisted that the SX/4 didn't have an AMC engine in it, (car show and the hood was open).  :laughing1:

That was actually many years ago when I was a teenager long before I bought my first AMC.  He was a real idiot, once claimed he could hear the piston rings ringing in a  running car.

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
I've learned there's no point arguing with an idiot-know-it-all.    I guess it goes with the territory of owning a car that was the red-headed-stepchild of the auto industry as far as most are concerned.   ;)
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 89
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 03:17:09 PM »
I've learned there's no point arguing with an idiot-know-it-all.    I guess it goes with the territory of owning a car that was the red-headed-stepchild of the auto industry as far as most are concerned.   ;)

Agreed, that's why when I get annoyed with it I usually drop the "I restored it, I think I know more about it than your readers digest told you" card,  :rotfl:. Jerkish, yes, but it stops them in their tracks, and makes them think twice about proving me wrong, lol, that sometimes leads to curiosity though, so it's not all bad.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline mudkicker715

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 45
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 03:32:18 PM »
Rattling off my signature works. Especially with the 2 new additions.

Current amc's
82 concord waggy 258 DD
84 eagle sedan stroker DD
86 eagle wagon sas 304 v8 toy
87 eagle wagon stroker

Manitowoc WI

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 65
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 02:53:19 AM »
Your right Maddog, they weren't real concords....Real Concords wore the AMC Logo  8) :amc:
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

rohnk

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 05:57:13 AM »
There is a guy I work with that seems to like bringing up that AMC used parts from every other manufacturer. Yesterday he said it again and I told him that it makes it easier for us to find parts for our cars that way since nothing is specifically made for one car model. He agreed!

Ignorance is bliss.