mail

Author Topic: Thumping feel.....tranny mount, ujoints, engine mounts????  (Read 1320 times)

Offline drock87

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Thumping feel.....tranny mount, ujoints, engine mounts????
« on: September 16, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »
There is a similar thread, but I feel the "thumping" underneith me when going over bumps, coasting (especially around a turn), in reverse, and especially in 4x4. Now...If I'm in 4x4, it is accelerated if coasting, but under heavier acceleration, it is much less noticable. In another forum, the throughts were either the front driveshaft slipyoke or tranny mount. Thoughts?
2011 Toyota Camry SE
1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagle Nest Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 427
Re: Thumping feel.....tranny mount, ujoints, engine mounts????
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 05:29:54 PM »
I would check the transmission mount first.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • December-2003
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 12:10:05 AM »
Check the muffler first, if you really don't hear it at faster speeds but hear it at slow speed when hit-ing bumps in road, check drivers side rear bracket before rear wheel, drivers side before pipe takes the loop over rear shock tower, or rear wheel shaft.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • December-2003
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 12:18:52 AM »
Thoughts? If other site is the "Nest" throw any idea's of info in the trash where it belongs!
Write me and tell me where the thump sound seems to come from, back front, drivers side, or left side.
Get it, if you can on a lift, check trany mounts just by pushing up at trany back end, it really sounds like your pipe bracket or clamp is broken. 
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 427
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 07:55:29 AM »
Good suggestions Gil.  Uni-body cars tend to transmit sounds to other places in the car were the problem is not at.  One test is to put it in first gear and then romp on the gas pedal, if there is a lot of shudder and the gear shift really vibrates it may be the trans mount.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline 1985amceagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »
Thoughts? If other site is the "Nest" throw any idea's of info in the trash where it belongs!
Write me and tell me where the thump sound seems to come from, back front, drivers side, or left side.
Get it, if you can on a lift, check trany mounts just by pushing up at trany back end, it really sounds like your pipe bracket or clamp is broken.

the other forum was Evolution, here is the topic: http://forums.amcevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1632  if it was on the nest, it looks like steve threw the forum away again.    Drock, how close is the driveshaft to the tail pipe? could the drive shaft be hitting the exhaust pipe? ???

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 427
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »
Yes, it could be one of several things.  A close examination under the car is in order.  The exhaust pipe by the trans/transfer case could cause that.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;